Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saint Anthony -13 June

Saint Anthony
Saint Anthony was actually born Fernando Martins de Bulhões in Lisbon Portugal about 1195 to a wealthy Portuguese family and died in Padua Italy on 13 Jun 1231.   Once he joined the Franciscan Order he changed his name to António and later became known as Anthony of Padua or Anthony of Lisbon. He was especially invoked for the recovery of lost things, and is said to have performed miracles on a daily basis.

I recall my mother telling me that her mother prayed to Saint Anthony often, and in fact, she named her first born son Antonio.  Years later I would see just how much he meant to my Grandmother for when I received a box of my great grandfather's belongings, in it was a prayer card, sent to him by my grandmother and signed over 70 years ago.  As I held it I felt my grandmother's love for her Saint and realized that I myself had that same prayer card in my wallet - only many years newer and in color.  And today I sit here and not only think about St Anthony but about my son, who I had baptized on this day 16 years ago and about my grandmother who I can almost hear whispering - Pray to Sant'Antonio and you will never be lost or alone....and I know that I'm not.

0 comments :