Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandma - Erminia Polito Salvati

Erminia Polito - Malito, Cosenza
Erminia Polito was born on 30 of March 1912 in Las Animas, Colorado, U.S.A.   She was the daughter of Giovanni Politi and Vincenza Macchione
of Malito, Cosenza, Italy.  She was the second child to be born to Giovanni and Vincenza and only lived in Colorado for a few years until her mother decided life in the US was not right for her so she, pregnant with her third child, took Erminia and her brother Antonio and moved back to Malito.  My great Grandfather, Giovanni decided to remain in Colorado so I don't believe he ever saw his wife or children again.

Baptismal Registration
On the 16 February 1930, a 17 year old Erminia married Ernesto Salvati (b.1906) in a double wedding ceremony with her brother, Antonio and Ernesto's sister, Giustina.  Because Erminia  married an Italian citizen, and later voted in Italy she forfeited her US Citizenship and was forced to re apply for Naturalization a few decades later when she and Ernesto moved to Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, USA.  

Salvati Headstone

They had 3 children together, all of who were also born in Malito and all who moved to North American in the late 50s and early 60s. 
 Erminia died on a Saturday morning on 12 Oct 1974 in Yonkers of Leukemia at the age of  63.  She is buried in Saint Joseph Cemetery Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, USA next to her husband who died only 3 months after she did.

Happy Birthday Grandma - I miss you!


5 comments :

Laurel Walsh said...

I believe your all relatives of my daughter Angelisa Marie Walsh.Her father is: Armand Analdo Polito the 3rd

Laurel Walsh said...

Looking for my daughters family, Polito and all ancestors.

Laurel Walsh said...

Looking for my daughters family, Polito and all ancestors.

Laurel Walsh said...

I believe your all relatives of my daughter Angelisa Marie Walsh.Her father is: Armand Analdo Polito the 3rd

nuccia said...

Hi Laurel - I have been away from this blog for a while so I am sorry for the late reply. Can you email me so we can exchange some information and hopefully figure this out? http://www.calabriaexchange.com/feedback.html