Saturday, June 23, 2012

Why Some People Shouldn't Drive

Some people should not, no matter what the circumstances, ever be given a driver's license - me being one of them.  I happen to have the most horrible sense of direction and although I have been diving for almost 30 years I can count the number of times I've driven on a highway on one hand or been able to figure out which way is North, South, East or West when driving.  So it was no surprise that when my son asked me to drive him to a friend's house a fair distance from our home I got a bit nervous.  He couldn't drive himself since he knew he would be drinking (kudo's to him for being responsible) and his dad had already gone to bed so at 10 o'clock this evening we set out.  He drove there taking the simplest route possible so that I should be able to remember the way back easily enough. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.  I started out ok but suddenly I panicked and went opposite the way I was supposed to.  That little mistake cost me two hours driving, a half a tank of gas, four phone calls to my children (who were already looking for me) and a final call to my brother begging him to come and get me..    I can find people that lived almost two hundred years ago and connect them with living relatives and yet I can't find my way home!

My Route:


View Larger Map

4 comments :

Beingpaternal said...

I was waiting for a rant about some of the drivers on the road ... you got me laughing just when I needed it.

nuccia said...

My kids thought it was pretty funny, too. They almost called the police to go find me. At one point I think I was heading to Niagara Falls!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Too funny! Sounds like you need a friendly voice of a GPS device to guide you home!

And yes, kudos to your son for his foresight and responsible decisions--even though it resulted in an unexpected two hour tour of your hometown...

nuccia said...

Never thought about getting a GPS but yes, I think I should. Of course my husband - who I have heard arguing with a GPS and hates anything technologically invented since the calculator may be hard to convince.. lol