Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Me and My Kobo

Ok so I know I kinda fell of the face of the earth so to speak but I really haven't been far at all.  My kids decided to buy me a Kobo Arc for Mother's Day which is definitely one of the BEST gifts anyone has ever given me.  I've always loved to read - actually growing up it's pretty much all I ever did since there wasn't really too much else to do.  I remember getting up early on Saturday mornings in the summer of '71, racing over to the parking lot near P.S 23 and waiting for the Bookmobile to show up so I could sign out my books for the week.  I read over 25 books from there that summer.. not bad for an 8 year old.  I still have my certificate of achievement they gave me that year tucked away safely in one of my binders.

When we had our children we spent a small fortune on books.  The kids weren't allowed to write their names on the books- books were sacred and writing anything in them ruined them. At one point we had so many I made DH build extra shelves and bookcases to hold all of them all until we finally ran out out room.   Sadly as the kids grew up the books took over the house and so most of them are now safely stored in totes for them to take with them when (and if) they ever move out.  Of course they each kept a few of their personal favourites.

I felt kinda strange at first - I have to admit I LOVE BOOKS and the thought of not actually holding a real book made me feel like a bit of a traitor but I have discovered this last month or so that it's actually not as bad as I first thought.  I have managed to read about 6 books since I got it and the prices are probably a bit better than actually buying a hard copy.  Since I hurt my wrist last month and am limited to what I can do, the Kobo has literally saved my sanity.  I don't have to hold it or control a mouse.  The touch screen makes it easy to read anything.

So other than emails the books I have read include
  • The Inheritance by Marianne Perry (which takes places in 1900 Calabria) which I was really able to relate to but disappointed at the ending.  I really hope there is a second part because there are so many loose ends that it literally left me hanging. In spite of this the author seems to have done her homework and researched the period and area fairly well. Sad and beautiful all at the same time. 
  • Out of Time books  by Monique Martin - Loved this series although Part One was still my favourite.  Time Travel and History have always been two of my favourite subjects and when you add a bit of a love story and some humour in the mix you got me hooked!  While I have read better series I did enjoy this series very much and would recommend it.
  1. Out of Time
  2. When the Walls Fell
  3. Fragments
  4. The Devil's Due 
  5. Thursday's Child
Of course I am still reading all my genealogy books too - and will be back to researching (and writing) more once my injury has healed.  I'll try to actually write more in depth reviews about the books I read instead of just a short paragraph going forward.  Meanwhile if you don't already own one, get yourself an E Reader.  You definite  will enjoy it!
**Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed in this post are my own with no compensation, monetary or otherwise received at time time or by anyone.

2 comments :

Marianne Perry said...

Good Evening. I just wanted to thank you for reading my novel, The Inheritance. When I started writing the story, I soon realized it was too much for one book and, as such, planned on a sequel from the beginning. As a result, the loose ends were intentional. I just returned from my second genealogical-writing research trip to Calabria. The next installment of The Inheritance will be my third novel. I am currently writing Angels and Backpackers; a mystery and family saga inspired by a holograph will and old land deed I discovered while conducting genealogical research. I love your blog, too. Congrats on your writing. I wish you blessings and, thank you again. Marianne Perry, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada. (P.S. The stone cottage on the cover was near the mountain village in Cosenza Province where my Nana Caterina was born. I took the photo on my first genealogical-writing research trip to Calabria.)

nuccia said...

I'm so glad there will be equal - you can bet I will be reading it! Love your writing and of course, I love Calabria so the two work well. My great grandfather was born in Cosenza as well. And thanks for the kind words about my blog!