Saturday, June 19, 2010

Follow Friday - Geneal Italia

When I first began my research I never realized just how many Italian immigrants left for South America - in fact, almost as many Italians migrated to South America as they did to the USA.  Argentinians (and South Americans in General) I found to really love tracing their family history.

With this in mind, I want to feature this week's blog that I am following called Geneal Italia which is written by Daniela Massolo who lives in Buenos Aires, Argentina.  She is the granddaughter of Italian immigrants from the Piedmont area of Italy.

Daniela is fairly new to blogging (like me) but you can see she is not new to researching her roots so why not stop by and say hello?

3 comments :

The Persian said...

I know, I never had any idea either! We must have tons of relatives down there we don't even know about.

genbriand said...

Hi, Nuccia.
The great real pole of attraction was Buenos Aires at the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century. It was not the same in other South American countries. Italians were going either to New York or to Buenos Aires. In 1895, more than a 60% of the population in Argentina was European, immigrants, and a 50% of them were italians. At that time in Argentina an average salary was superior to a salary in USA, and that was the main reason. Working a couple of years, anybody could buy a lot and to build a house. For better information about Buenos Aires at the end of the 19th century, you can check this page in my family website:

http://www.genbriand.com.ar/briand_dartevelle_english_.htm

You also can hear a tango from 1895 on that page.

Best Regards

Pablo Briand
Miami Beach, Florida

nuccia said...

Thank you Pablo. I will check out your website.